So-called "campgrounds" are spreading like invasive weeds. Help preserve Burnett County's rural way of life.
• CAMPGROUND MORATORIUM!
The Land Use & Info Committee unanimously decided to move forward with a recommendation to the full county board for a campground moratorium for up to 4 months.
Meeting is on Tues, March 2nd, 9am. Click below to attend virtually!
• Spooner Lake 200-unit CUP was approved. We've got work to do, people.
• The Twin Cities Star Tribune featured an article about Burnett County. Read it here. Make sure to read the Comments, broke a record.
+ > + < + > + < +
• CUP 20-54 Webb Lake: we got creamed! The CUP was approved.
• CUP 20-58 Big Sand, Viola Lake: DENIED.
• CUP 20-47 Nelson "Campground" north of Danbury WAS DENIED.
See the video here. Thank you everyone for your support!
Camping is great. This is not camping. These "campgrounds" are high-density communities. Nothing wrong with them... unless there is no infrastructure for them!
This is a perfect storm of demand due to Covid, loopholes and county ordinances that haven't been updated to address the reality of the situation.
Demand a moratorium so you have time to tell your supervisor what you want.
See Supervisor addresses at the bottom of this page.
Burnett County is home to 26 campgrounds. In 2015, there were 1,100 spots available. Since then, 4 new RV Parks and expansions at existing campgrounds have resulted in over 1,800 spots available – an increase of 60%.
People who live and recreate in Burnett County have responded strongly to the threat of so-called "campgrounds." Laws as they are currently written do not protect everyone, so until those are changed, we come together to share information and support each other.
BIG SAND, VIOLA LAKE AREA CONCERNED CITIZENS
BIG WOOD LAKE
DEER LAKE ASSOCIATION
THE MINERVA CHAIN
ROONEY LAKE ASSOCIATION ADVOCATES
TABOR LAKE ASSOCIATION
WEBB LAKE AREA CONCERNED CITIZENS
Are you a lake association or Facebook group worried about where a so-called "campground" might spring up next? Email us!
Let's build a strong community with good jobs, good environment, good services for all.
Please email all the Supervisors on the Land Use & Information Committee to communicate your concerns:
• Norman Bickford, Chair [email protected]
• Craig Conroy, Vice-Chair [email protected]
• Chuck Awe e[email protected]
• Chuck Anderson [email protected]
• James Pearson [email protected]
• Brent Blomberg [email protected]
• Jim Paden [email protected]
You can also include these gentlemen:
• Jason Towne, Zoning Administrator [email protected]
• Don Taylor (not on Land Use Comm, he is the Chair of Supervisors) [email protected]
You can also send a note of appreciation!